Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Mtn Bike Racin'....... in Florida???

Photobucket
This weekend was the first race of the S.E.R.C. MTB series, first stop - Gainesville, Fl. It was also my first attempt at being a mechanic/support for a 'real' team Eveready Cycling. From my standpoint it was a success. I was able to sit on the sideline and not have an anxiety attack from NOT racing. I did however get a pre-ride in with the team on Saturday. Word of advice, do not pre-ride with a pro! What a pace, they say that they are just chillin' but I was a breathin' hard and struggling at one point! The course was very tight single track and short steep technical climbs. You are basically riding around an abandoned rock quarry all day. After pre-ride my duties were cleaning and maintaining 6 bikes, a couple of them needed some TLC! Our 'cat 3 riders only had 2 laps but our cat 2 rider had 3 laps. The cat 1 riders and our pro had 5 laps -OUCH! 81 degrees, in the sun from being in 30-40's and snow the week prior took its toll on the guys. They rode very hard and put in good early season efforts but the heat got to them a little. It wasn't as big a turnout as I thought it might be, but I myself don't see mountain biking and Florida as the same or relative in any way. I mean humps of dirt and a quarry to get some climbing? I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I think that a 26" hardtail bike was the weapon of choice for down there. My 29er was sluggish to respond in the tight twitchy turns. You did not need a full suspension rig either. Tight singletrack, a tiny bit of rocky service road and throw in a bunch of 10-20ft STEEP short burst climbs definitely made this course a hardtail paradise. I'm looking forward to more races and wrenching for these guys. I'm also going to race at one or two of these because I can't sit by all season and not!
Photobucket
This place was pretty cool because this race course sits right beside of the famous AMA "gatorback" motocross park that I used to race at almost 20 years ago. I had to go take a peek after the race was over! Winter Nationals and they are still going strong!

Photobucket
TROY (pro)
Photobucket
ROB (cat1)
Photobucket
EVERETT (cat1)
Photobucket
JASON (cat2)
Photobucket
ROCKS
Photobucket
JESSE (Jr.10-14)
Photobucket
LAND YACHT...aka RACE HQ
Photobucket
PENALTY FOR MISTAKE!
Photobucket
MORE SINGLE TRACK
Photobucket
PRO START
Photobucket
STEVE & JESSE (cat3 - Jr.10-14)
Photobucket
EDGE OF QUARRY




That's about it for now....I would like to give a HUGE shout out to Everett and his wife for the best hospitality ever! THANKS!

Later G...........................

No comments: