Sunday, November 23, 2008

RACING IN THE ARCTIC CIRCLE




Wow that's what it felt like yesterday in Hendersonville, N.C. Grand Prix CX Racing in the Arctic! When we arrived it was a skin piercing 19 degrees. By the time I got to the starting line I think it was in the very low 20's and a 10mph wind. I warmed up on Rob's trainer for about 2o minutes or so before getting to the starting line and it helped. The start was a cluster! The ladies and Jr.'s would not back up and let the men get staged for the start. It was like they were going to miss something. After I finagled my way to a starting position they set us off. It seemed like I stood there for at least 5 seconds before I could even move to get going. Anyway I got rolling in the rear as usual, the course was mostly flat and it was fun. Nice single track section in the woods with a good little climb out back onto the course. I couldn't believe that the course was so dusty dry and hard packed either. I would have thought with all the snow that we had the day before it would have been nasty but it wasn't. So I just set my own pace, steadily moving up because of my starting position. I felt good too ( well good for me..lol) The laps were 2.07 mile. I was turning them in under 9 minutes. Not too good in my opinion but I passed riders. My second lap was my slowest and my last lap was my fastest....go figure that's not like me. They should have given us another lap we only rode three. I wasn't riding wide open either, every time I pushed myself I had to breathe deep. The ice cold air felt like a dagger in my lungs when I would fill the bottom of them with air. It was painful, so I just took more shallow breaths and tried to keep from pushing too hard. When on the back section I would look for anything to draft on the long pavement section. There was a brisk freezing head wind. I would have drafted and old man on a rascal scooter to ease the sting and burn, I didn't care. Heck even a Jr. if I could have found one, ha ha. Just before the finish there was a steep run up that I climbed every time. I always got an extra position there. Over half of the racers in 4 pushed this hill. I guess the freezing temps were hurting everyone. The pace wasn't that fast after about tenth place back it seemed to me. We were strung out all over the course after the first lap I was told. I managed a 24th - not too good, but not all that bad considering how much I have\have not ridden and the quality of rides over the last few months.
I got up and debated whether or not to go do it again today and decided not to. It's going to be a little warmer but I just decide to stay here and get some stuff done around the house. It wasn't as a big a race as some of the other NCCX races I had been to. I expected bigger classes, so Im here in my warm home getting some chores completed. MSG in two weeks @ Steele Creek!!

Thanksgiving is coming up it's time to give thanks for all the bikes and gear that you have...lol. NOT....Its time to be thankful for being alive and all that God has blessed us with. I hope all of my readers have a very wonderful safe Thanksgiving. Be careful in the woods and on the road!







Later G...................................................

No comments: