Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Rocks & Road

Sunday night I was on the fence waiting to see how available I was going to be on Monday. Angie came home a day early from the boogie in Raeford, N.C. That was a pleasant suprise! Her AC went out Sunday also. She was making phone calls and trying to get a repairman out to check it. I had something to check on Monday early as well and my info was good. So with that info I tore outta here heading for Bent Creek to blaze some trails that I had never ridden over there. I had my trail map in hand the night before, trails plotted and highlighted, ready to go! Ben was also on the fence about going, but my having to wait on a late decision probably had something to do with him not being able to go. That's cool though. I loaded up got to the trail head looked at my map....?????? My map???? Dang, I ran off and left it at the house, crap! Well I did bring everything else. I gear up and head up the FR491, a gravel road I had never ventured. It's a good long climb too. After reaching the top...... no markers. That's the biggest gripe I have about that place: It could be marked better. Anywho I keep on pedaling and pass three riders and continue on. I take it to "little hickory" and over to "slidehill" then back around. It was very tempting to not hit "green's lick" but I was trying to stay mostly to trails that I have not ridden although I rode a couple that I knew. I came into the campground and tried "pine tree" and "explorer". They were ok, nothing to write home about. Back up through the campground 'again' and then rode some of "south ridge" and back on "hardtimes". There were a couple that I wasn't sure about but I ended up with a smidge over 23 miles and it was getting so hot that I was miserable. I decided to call it a day.

I arrived back home in time to meet the HVAC dude at Angie's to be told it was a part that he didn't have with him and he would have to return tomorrow......sigh. After he left I took both the road bikes to meet up with the beg/racer's recovery ride Monday's @6. It's a mild paced ride that's about 15 miles long. It was a nice way to loosen the legs after the mountain bike ride earlier. Angie did ok but she said she would feel it in a few days. She hasn't been riding much because of her addiction to "jumping out of planes"........lol. It's an awesome day of biking when you can get the best of both worlds! Looks like Short track practice on Wednesday.

The collegiate season starts in two months and I'm so out of shape for that. I haven't been doing much race training since I have had no spare income to race this year. I'm not sure if I can OR want to get that intense so late in the season to be ready to race with the ETSU guys.

SCHEDULE:
8/22-23/09
Georgia Tech University
XC, STXC, DH, ITT

8/29-30/09
East Tennessee State University
XC, STXC, DH, DS

9/5-6/09
Florida State University
XC, STXC, DS, ITT

9/12-13/09
Lees McRae College
XC, STXC, DH, DS

9/19-20/09
Appalachian State University (Duel Conf Race)
XC, STXC, DH, DS

9/26-27/09
Brevard College
XC, STXC, DH, DS

10/3-4/09
Clemson University (Conference)
XC, STXC, DH, DS

10/16-18/09
University of Nevada, Reno (Nationals)
XC, STXC, DH, DS


I do have a crit on my radar though! I may go out and just bust it for 10-15 minutes before I pop to drive everyone crazy.....lol. I know I'm not in shape to be competitive for the whole thing, we'll see.



LAter G....................................

No comments: