Monday, August 16, 2010

TORRENTIAL RAINS & WET RIDES

The Annual NTMBA camping trip was held this past weekend in North Wilkesboro, N.C. We camped at Warriors Creek which is a nice campground. The Bandits Roost Campground has nicer facilities but the trails are awesome at either place. We arrived sat up camp and lingered around visiting with everyone then later that evening the rains started with hit and miss showers, nothing crazy. It was a very nice but humid night and also very peaceful with the light rain tickling the tent as we slumbered. This is my first introduction of Dawn so I would like everyone to meet her, I hope she's going to be around for awhile. I need to give her a "hook" name though. She says her Dad used to call her Dawnycakes so I may just call her DC for short, we'll see. This was our 'first' ride as a couple and she was very nervous. She kept telling me that she didn't want me to think she sucked..............she didn't!


I will say that the girl is fearless! She attacks the trails like no tomorrow. As we started Andy had a problem with his carbon Titus and the Thomson seat post slipping in which I quickly remedied with some carbon paste and wa'LA....... fixed. The group had got a bit away from us but I was sure he and I could catch up but we didn't have to. The girls came back to get us which was pretty kewl. Dawn and I were riding together now and she was just ripping it up. I was really surprised how hard she was getting after it, then bam! down she went on a slick root. As fast as she went down the girl was up, on da bike and clipped in pedaling. "Dam she's tough" I thought to myself. A little bit later bam another root got her. Bam right back up and hammering again! You go DC! About a couple of miles in it started to rain, harder and harder and then a little harder even. Before you knew it there was a river flowing down the trail. The rain was warm so it wasn't that bad. We met up with other riders in the club on the trail and had fun making the most of a bad situation.


at the start....



base camp - pad #45


Arrival in N. Wilkesboro


Post downpour......


Rich Dillen....oppps I mean aka: Fat Tony or is that Elvis?



Olga's dog seemed to like this....



So Andy and I tried it......


So did Abby......


After cleaning up and throwing our tent into the dumpster... Oh yea, when we got back from the ride we made a late lunch in the torrential downpour. The locals said that we received 2" of rain in 1 hour there. Well my 5 year old tent didn't fair so well letting everything get soaked inside including the bedding, the fly ripped and the EZ-UP fell in. I gave it a proper funeral into the park dumpster...poles and all. I should have taken a picture but I didn't. DC and I cleaned up, packed up and loaded all our stuff into the hoopty. We decided to hang out at the group site until about 9-10pm then drive back home. I had pre-reg for the last gone-riding event but really didn't care to race in the wet all day the next day so we took it back across the mountain. We had a blast with everyone and the girls got into some electronic version of guess what this is? Sorry I don't remember the name. and they were cackling like a bunch of hens on crack, it was a hilarious!


Post ride and pot luck meal. Jared, the jerked chicken was AWESOME......good food and friends!!


Group campsite downpour....

Rick taking it all in! This my friends is what it's all about. Mountain biking gives you so many things. A picture is worth a thousand words!
LAter G......................













1 comment:

Riding with dogs said...

Yeah DC is much better than Dawnycakes. That might almost be worse than... well you know who.