Monday, March 11, 2013

Poor Fitness

Well, where did I leave off last time? Oh the lights..

I managed one night ride with the new GloWorm lights and I'm very impressed. The weight is nothing and the lights are very bright. I'm pleased! Now that the time has changed I may not use them as much but at least I have them and they're ready!

Let's move on to racing...

I had a tad bit of fitness (for me) after cross season but after cross I had to manage a new, first ever, short-lived collegiate BMX season (4 races cut short to 2 due to weather). The only riding I accomplished was a trainer and several parking lot sprints. All my neighbors think I'm having a mid-life crisis it seems. Old guy on a 20" BMX bike screaming up and down the parking lot? "he's nuts" They probably think. Oh well, I kinda get off on people thinking things of that sort. It's funny to me.

Short intervals didn't help me in the least with no long rides. I made a plan to ride all the MTB races of the Maxxis Southern Series this year with the first one being Sumter SC. Special Agent Johnson and I hop in the van and roll down to get a pre-ride in Saturday. The weather was a bit nippy for SC this time of year in my opinion so I put an extra layer on, I knew we wouldn't be hammering. The profile for the race said 750ft of climbing per each 7 mi lap. We were lucky to get 400 ft per lap and to my dislike there was only 4mi of single track on the 7mi course. 3.2 of the 7mi was a FLAT hard-pack sandy road to the finish line which the cross-over roadies loved.

My first lap felt pretty awesome until I hit that flat section and was dropped like a bad habit. For about 20 minutes I was thinking I'm going to kick some ass this year but reality smacked me in the face after the single track. So now it's time to hunker down and train. I'm not a serious bike racer by any means but I do like seeing improvements with myself. 22nd out of 27 means there's lots of work ahead in the 40-49 Cat2 class.

Coach Casey gave me the new plan for the year and I've been steadily doing the workouts. This weekend I doubled up (am I in trouble?) with a 1.5 hr fat tire ride in the morning on Saturday followed by a 2 hr road ride out of the house late Saturday. Sunday Special Agent Johnson and I were on Buffalo for 3 hours. He likes Mud Holler so we went a climbin'. That is a killer workout and my legs felt like they were going to bust from all the lactic acid building up. On the way out I cut a tire and had to ride very creatively, to say the least, to make it back to moto-van. Stans wouldn't seal the cut because it was a tad too big. I need new Maxxis tires anyway...

Today is the first day of Spring Break and I got a call to come in to the University and move a ton of stuff around. Yea, yea I'm a nice guy. I don't know that I would have done it if the sky had been nice and blue instead of the grey and rain that it is....








LAter G...............................


No comments: