Tuesday, May 5, 2009

New Steed in the Barn

OK after or since I had ridden at the first S.E.R.C. race in Florida on a pre-ride it was the very first time that I thought that maybe I had made a miscalculation on what bike may be for me. I absolutely love the big wheels of a 29er without a doubt. But with all the tight quick turns and zipping in and out of the small trees I felt as if I was driving my rig through the woods in Florida. The big wheels just wouldn't zip around anywhere I wanted them to go, you know like when you just get up your momentum then have to slow to maneuver. I haven't ridden a small hooped rig for almost 18 months now. The last few weeks I have been doing just that, riding 26" wheels. I can only say that I like it, heck I like anything on two wheels. They don't roll over everything like a steamroller in which manner the 29er's do but I DO like the snap and acceleration of the smaller ones.


So me being unemployed with not a whole lot of disposable income (heck I have NO disposable income what am I saying) I had to do the next best thing....barter. As fate would have it, bartering came looking for me via a friend (his idea). I truly think it was a sign for me to change back to the smaller hoops. ( Que eiry music here) ooooooooooooooooooohhhhh.So this is what I have been riding for the last 18 months. An orange '08 Specialized Rockhopper 29er with XT/XTR components, Reba fork and Bontrager race lites wheelset. (stock photo)





I traded for a super sexy sweet '07 Specialized Enduro Pro.....a sweet anodized brown, full XT group, Fox 36 Float RC2 fork and a super cushy ride. Heavy though at a whopping 33 lbs. I can't ride this for an XC rig!

But I can ride this!.................................


After doing alot of research on Specialized's hardtails I came up with this....they are almost all the same. Between the three (Hardrock- Stumpjumper HT - Rockhopper) all size 19 : The top tubes are within 5MM of each other, chainstays are within 2MM of each other, headtube angles are within .5deg of each other. Basically what I'm saying is that they are all 3 so close no one is going to tell a difference I don't care who you think you are. With that said and alot of bartering I ended up with what I think I'm really going to like.....................HARDROCK.



So I get this built Monday and what's the weather been doing since? RAINING! I want to ride but I don't want to tear up the trails so it's been driveway riding every time the weather breaks for a few. I have everything close but I need a trail to dial it in. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Fox F100RL handles. These forks are stupid ridiculously high $$$$ as are all Fox's forks/shocks, but as usual it's always been worth it every time I have used any of their products. The blue looked alot "blue'er" on specialized's website though. All I have left is to put the stem and XT shifters on when they arrive. Yes I couldn't wait so I put it together with what I had......impatient! So here I sit awaiting for the skies to clear so I can ride my bike.............ho hum.





LAter G.......................................

7 comments:

Anthony Duncan said...

What?? No clickie make biggie? You should be ashamed to post pics of a new steed and give us only thumbnails!

SCOOBY'S SNACKS said...

Sorry, you want clickie make biggie you better go see Team Dicky YO

SCOOBY'S SNACKS said...

OK, I fixed one for ya!

Riding with dogs said...

so are you moving to Fla.?

SCOOBY'S SNACKS said...

not that I know of but there are plenty of tight twisty places to ride here. Goin' back to my roots...lol 26"

Riding with dogs said...

26" roots? didn't you start out riding bmx?

SCOOBY'S SNACKS said...

oh yes I did, but the first mtb was a 26" cruiser bike converted. You're being too specific only because I know you want to give me a hard time. Im going to have to start a blog just for Greg and be politically correct......he heh he