Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Crit'n (NASCAR on road bikes)

Sunday after Pedalfest our local road cycling club the TCRC was holding a crit training series in our ETSU parking lot and have 3 more scheduled throughout the year. I figured what the heck some "play" racing sounds good. I was called a sandbagger on more than one occasion Sunday but to my defense I only race once or twice a year on the road so I have never cat'ed up although I tried last year and didn't meet the requirements to move up to the ranks of the 4's. After I make it through the Johnson City Omnium here in town this weekend I should have enough "experience" (pfffffffttt) to be given a promotion due to all the collegiate road races the team attended this season.



The Crit: I managed to hang in til the end on the training race Sunday and escape with a 3rd out of 4......hmmm. That was terribly bad for me although coming into the last corner I didn't think that the two guys in front of me had enough skill to manage the last turn at the speed we were carrying due to watching them in all the previous turns that day. They managed to get through it and sprint each other to the line and I casually rolled in for #3. It was a pretty slow pace because none of us wanted to pull so we all held back alot it seemed. NOTE: AC was there and rocketed off the front short track style but after the lungs started giving him fits he realized what he was doing and settled in to a more reasonable pace til the end. Good job AC on your first crit!

This morning I realized I had to get more miles in or have nothing at the coming collegiate races and rides. I hate "feeling" like I have to ride. It takes the fun out of it for me but I like keeping up as best I can with the faster guys sometimes, the price I must pay it seems. I rolled out around lunch and toured Piney Flatts, Bluff City, got lost and popped back out on 19E somewhere near Elizabethton and then journeyed through Watauga back to the house for a measly 42 miles. I needed to make a cameo at the shop to check on our bike shop kitty and check in the ups boxes. Something special arrived for Melinda , Capt. Dingo's wifey, at the shop today too. Take a peek... her wheels FINALLY arrived along with all the other mavics we had ordered. I through them in the exploder along with another BMC we sold that had to go to UPS to be shipped to it's new home in Michigan.

Melinda with her new SLR's...........................

Tomorrow I will catch up with the guys on the Carter County Pack Ride for some more "training" rides.......man I can't stand that word! "training"....YUK!

here's more entertaining video that a friend emailed me............



LAter G.........................

2 comments:

Riding with dogs said...

I can't believe they called YOU of all people a sandbagger! How dare they! You would never do that.

SCOOBY'S SNACKS said...

I dont race road that much....Im not a sandbagger but I am requesting an upgrade after Sunday