Monday, June 13, 2011

NIGHT OWL

Saturday morning I saddled up the new "creeper van" and headed up to Marion, VA. to make sure a small little fun community race didn't die. Due to logistics and being kind the date lagged somewhat and ended up on June 11. This race should have been scheduled at least 4-6 weeks sooner for a better turnout. Too many competing events and a Bill Collie (rest in piece good sir) Memorial ride had people that would have usually attended scattered out across our region. Anywho I didn't want to see this race go to the wayside so Jason, Geoff and I spearheaded this to keep it alive. I was a little upset at first knowing that the turnout was going to be low and alot of people that said they wouldn't miss this race for anything cuz it was soooo much fun and the camping was the bestest didn't show. I quickly realized that it didn't matter if I only had one person in each class it was worth all the work it took to promote this race when one of the sons of a beginner rider/racer watched his Dad leave the starting line, he was cheering madly for him. Then, upon his return, he was so excited, jumping up and down screaming & hollering for his Dad that just finished the race! Right there I was fulfilled!!! That made my night!! If you weren't there there's no way you had more fun wherever you were at, not possible! I will be doing the promoting for this next year and I hope I can deliver the goods again. Thanks to everyone that kept this alive and attended, you all are awesome! I got this warm and squishy feeling inside too when each rider came up to Geoff, Jason and I to thank us for keeping the race going.

On another note; The Creeper Van. - pictures later...

Several years ago I had a van that I converted to haul my motocross bikes that was a pretty sweet ride. I totally customized the interior like some of the pro motocross riders do, it looked good. I've always regretted selling this and last week I was given a chance, thanks to my bro-n-law that's an auto-broker, to own another one. I picked it up last Friday and went through it making the customization plan for the interior. I put it to the test this weekend camping inside of it too, plenty of room! On the way out of town I decided to get the tires balanced and rotated. When the tech was getting inside to back it out after the service the starter decided to lay down on me just spin without engaging, ugh oh. We managed to get it started by rocking it and off I went. I was going o' no I hope this thing doesn't fall to pieces on me. Driving through Bristol I decided to stop at Advance Auto and get a starter (just in case)! I stopped one other time but left it running as to not to have an issue before I got there. When arriving at the park I found Brandon and Jody and got my camping spot, I then decided to pull out my shade tree mechanic skills and replace that starter. 15 minutes later I was pulling my self out from under the beast, starter installed!

The lemons of the trip would now be consumed in the form of lemonade, ahh! Soon Iron Man Dillow showed up, we pitched his new tent and got him settled. It turned out to be a great weekend. A huge thunderstorm hit 2.5 hours before start time so we dodged a bullet there but the sun returned and made the evening a success even with a full moon shining on us. I want to mention and give thanks for a special rider that graced us with his attendance, Skip Cooper! He rolled in and laid down his mad skillz on the Hungry Mother course, thanks Skip!

Thanks to Hungry Mother State Park, The Friends of HMSP, Jason Carrico, Agave #9 and Road I.D. for helping make this a great time. NEXT YEAR............


LAter G................

No comments: